Apple’s new Mac Pro is on sale, and it starts at an eye-popping $5,999. That’s a lot of cash for the average user, but maybe not so much if you make your living on how fast your computer is. The Mac Pro is highly customizable, though, and Apple is letting potential buyers upgrade it to a ludicrous level. What do I mean by “ludicrous,” you may ask? Well, the top-of-the-line Mac Pro costs $52,599!
Yes that is $52,599 Let’s break it all down:
• Base price: $5,999, the entry-level price of a Mac Pro before you start configuring a unit with custom specs. (For reference, the $5,999 Mac Pro comes with 32GB of RAM, an octa-core Intel Xeon CPU, Radeon Pro 580X graphics, and a 256GB SSD.)
• Processor: a 28-Core, 2.5GHz Intel Xeon W with 28 cores, 56 threads, and Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz (a $7,000 add-on)
• RAM: 1.5TB of 2933MHz RAM, broken down into 12 128GB user-replaceable slot (a $25,000 add-on)
• SSDs: 4TB of SSD storage, split across two 2TB SSDs (a $1,400 add-on. Apple notes that an 8TB option will be offered soon, meaning that you’ll be able to spend even more here in the future.
• GPU: two AMD Radeon Pro Vega II Duo graphics card modules, each with two GPUs inside for a total of four graphics cards, each with 32GB of dedicated RAM per GPU (a $10,800 add on)
• Afterburner accelerator card: $2,000
• Wheels for the Mac Pro: $400
• Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse (included at no extra cost in an exclusive silver / black color scheme that’s unique to buyers of the Mac Pro)
• Magic Trackpad: it’s sold separately, but it’s also in silver / black color scheme (for an extra $50)
Add that all up, and you get $52,599.
Optionally, you can also throw in one of Apple’s Pro Display XDR monitors. It starts at $4,999, with a fancier matte “nano-texture” glass option that costs $5,999, which we’ll obviously choose because money is clearly no object here. You’ll also need to pay $999 for the stand, sold separately), making the full price for the screen $6,998 and the entire top-of-the-line Mac Pro setup a grand total of $59,597.
If you’re interested in spending a house down payment or the price of a car on this Mac, you’ll need to be patient as well as rich Apple’s store says this configuration won’t ship until late January.