Spotify today updated its iPhone and iPad app with a new Home Screen widget that provides quick access to recently played playlists, artists, albums, or podcasts. The widget is available in small and medium sizes.
Similar to Apple’s own widgets for Apple Music, Spotify’s serve as a means of quickly getting back to something you were recently listening to. You can pick between small and medium sizes, but Spotify doesn’t yet offer a large-sized iOS 14 widget.
“The Spotify iOS widgets will display up to five of the recently played artists, playlists, albums or podcasts covers,” a Spotify spokesperson said by email. “Users can tap on the covers to dive straight back into their content.” The small widget displays just whatever you were playing last while using the app.
As with other Home Screen widgets, this one only serves as a shortcut to various parts of the Spotify app, as Apple does not allow Home Screen widgets to offer playback controls or toggles due to battery life considerations.
To add Spotify widget to your Home Screen
- Make sure you’ve updated to the latest version of Spotify.
- Touch and hold a widget or an empty area on the device home screen until the apps jiggle
- Tap the Add button (+) in the upper-left corner
- Select the Spotify widget in the list
- Select the size of the widget you wish to add from the 2 options available (1×1 small square or 2×1 rectangle), then tap “Add Widget”
- Place the widget, and tap “Done” to confirm